The shareholders' meeting, as the supreme management body of the HZI, meets at least once a year, takes the most important directional decisions, appoints the two managing directors and decides on their discharge. Representatives of the shareholders - together with experts from universities, clinics, industry, other research centres and the HZI itself - form the supervisory board. The HZI Supervisory Board meets twice a year, supervises the legality, expediency and economic efficiency of the management and decides on important research policy and financial matters of the company. The Scientific Committee provides the Supervisory Board with expert advice. The Centre's middle management consists of the heads of the scientific departments, the administrative units and the staff units.
The Scientific Advisory Committee consists of members of the Supervisory Board and external scientific experts. It advises the Supervisory Board with regard to the Research&Development programme as well as general research strategy of the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research.
- Prof Dr Marylyn Martina Addo, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf
- Prof Dr Eleanor Barnes, University of Oxford
- Dr Karina De Bivar, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência
- Dr Harald Dinter, Bayer Pharma AG Wuppertal
- Prof Dr Irmgard Förster, University of Bonn
- Prof Dr Susanne Herold, Universitätsklinikum Gießen und Marburg
- Prof Dr Percy A. Knolle, Technical University of Munich
- Prof Dr Antonio Lanzavecchia, Institute for Research in Biomedicine Bellinzona
- Prof Dr Melanie Ott, University of California San Francisco
- Prof Dr Nataša Pržulj, University College London
- Prof Dr Norbert Suttorp, Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Prof Dr Paul Wilmes, University of Luxembourg
- Prof. Dr. Marianne Van der Sande, Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp
- Prof Dr Jutta Heim, Scientific Advisory Committee GARDP/DNDi