Locations of the Helmholtz Centre
Resistance to antibiotics has become one of the major global challenges regarding infectious diseases. This is specifically the issue that is being tackled by the new Helmholtz-Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (HIPS). The institute has been founded in August 2009 on the Saarbrücken campus jointly by the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) in Braunschweig and Saarland University, with the goal to contribute to the developing new pharmaceuticals and therapies against infectious diseases.
The scientists at HIPS search for novel drugs and improve their application to humans. Furthermore they explore the delivery path of the drug to its target. Hence, HZI systematically extends translation research and thus contributes considerably to the health sciences. By this approach, new insights reach the patients faster.
The HIPS "Scientific Advisory Board" (SAB) advises the HZI management in important scientific matters concerning the HIPS. Its members are renowned international scientists and are appointed for a period of four years.
- Altmann, Karl-Heinz, Prof. Dr., ETH Zürich
- Apweiler, Rolf , Prof. Dr., European Bioinformatics Institute
- Boland, Wilhelm, Prof. Dr. (Präsident), Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology
- Göpferich, Achim, Prof. Dr., Universität Regensburg
- Hardt, Wolf-Dietrich, Prof. Dr., ETH-Zürich
- Holzgrabe, Ulrike, Prof. Dr. (Vizepräsidentin), Universität Würzburg
- Leadlay, Peter, Prof. Dr., University of Cambridge
- Uchegbu, Ijeoma, Prof. Dr., University College London
- Piel, Jörn, Prof. Dr., ETH Zürich
- Steinbeck, Christoph, Prof. Dr., Friedrich Schiller Universität Jena
- Walker, Suzanne, Prof. Dr., Harvard University
- Hammann, Peter, Prof. Dr., Sanofi Aventis Pharma GmbH
- Heinz, Dirk, Prof. Dr., HZI Braunschweig
- Schmitt, Manfred, Prof. Dr., Saarland University
- Wiestler, Otmar D., Prof. Dr., Helmholtz Association Berlin