Virtual tour of the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research - Explore HZI laboratories with your mobile phone, tablet or PC
What does it look like behind the scenes at a research centre? How does a microscope work that magnifies proteins up to 500,000 times? Why are chicken eggs needed to develop new flu vaccines? Answers to these and many other questions can be found in our virtual tour!
Welcome to the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI)! Around 1,000 people work here to gain new insights into bacteria, viruses and the human immune system. In doing so, they create the basis for new diagnostic procedures, new active substances and new therapies against infectious diseases.
In the virtual tour you can move through different laboratories of the HZI. You will find many interesting, interactive information points and also meet some of our researchers. The virtual tour allows you to explore parts of the HZI that are not open to guided tours, such as the Biosafety Level 3 Laboratory and Animal Facility. Subtitles can be activated for the embedded videos.
You can click through the following topics:
- Vaccine research in the department "Vaccinology and Applied Microbiology"
- Biosafety Level 3 Laboratory (S3 laboratory)
- New active substances in the department "Microbial Drugs"
- Smallest structures in the department "Structure and Function of Proteins"
- Animal husbandry in the Animal Facility
Take a look around the fascinating world of science!