In memory of the chemist Prof. Hans Herloff Inhoffen, who died in 1992, the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) and the Technical University (TU) Braunschweig annually organize the Inhoffen lecture and award the Inhoffen Medal since 1994. The prize is endowed with 5000 Euros. The Inhoffen Medal is the most prestigious German prize within the area of natural compound chemistry.
From 1946 to 1974, Inhoffen taught at the TU Braunschweig and served as its rector from 1948 to 1950. In 1965, he founded the "Institute of Molecular Biology, Biochemistry and Biophysics", the precursor of the "German Research Centre for Biotechnology" and today´s HZI.
The Inhoffen Medal and the prize money are awarded by the Friends of the HZI.
The next Inhoffen Ceremony must be cancelled.
The Hans Herloff Inhoffen-Lecture takes place on 7 November 2017.
- 2017 Dr. Helma Wennemers,ETH Zürich, Schweiz
- 2016 T. Carell, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
- 2015 H. Osada, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science, Japan
- 2014 A. Fürstner, Max-Planck-Institut für Kohlenforschung
- 2013 C.T, Walsh, Harvard Medical School, USA
- 2012 P. Leadlay, Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2011 P. Seeberger, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Potsdam
- 2010 H. Waldmann, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Dortmund
- 2009 W. Fenical, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA
- 2008 V.S. Ley, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2007 F. Diederich, ETH Zurich
- 2006 G. Höfle und H. Reichenbach, Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research, Braunschweig
- 2005 W. Boland, Max Planck Institute, Jena
- 2003 M. Reetz, Mülheim an der Ruhr
- 2002 H. Kessler, University Munich
- 2001 P. Potier, CNRS, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
- 2000 R. Wiechert, Berlin
- 1999 C. Djerassi, Stanford University, USA
- 1998 E. Winterfeldt, University Hannover
- 1997 Sir Alan R. Battersby, University Cambridge, UK
- 1996 K.C. Nicolaou, Scripps Institute, La Jolla, USA
- 1995 A. Eschenmoser, ETH Zurich
- 1994 G. Quinkert, University Frankfurt