HIPS Talk: "Natural Products: From Ancient Medicine to Synthetic Biology"
The talk will cover different aspects of drug discovery with a focus on natural products. Natural products were already used by the early human populations and stood at the cradle of the pharmaceutical industry in the 19th century. Today they are complementary to other drug discovery technologies and have a proven track record in phenotypic screens. An array of target identification technologies have been developed to study the mode of action of these molecules, which have been optimized through evolution for their biological activities. The Novartis genome mining project has confirmed that the great potential of bacteria and filamentous fungi as a source for new chemotypes has not been fully exploited. Secondary metabolomics and genetic engineering can be used to uncover the true biosynthetic potential of a strain. A further step towards an increased accessibility of natural products from diverse sources is the printing of entire biosynthetic pathways combined with heterologous expression. Synthetic biology concepts and technologies will shape the future of natural product research.
Guest are welcome!
There is opportunity to talk with the speaker before the talk. There will be a follow-up session (Nachsitzung).
For details and for making appointments please contact: Claudia Thiele, Tel.: UdS-70200, E-Mail: email@example.com
Universität des Saarlandes
Building and room
Blg C4 3, Kleiner Hörsaal der Anorganischen Chemie
Dr. Esther Schmitt,
Novartis Pharma AG (Basel)
Prof. Dr. Rolf Müller
How to find us in Saarbrücken
The HIPS building is located at the east entrance on the main campus of Saarland University, which is situated outside the city centre of Saarbrücken, the state capital of Saarland. Saarland is located in the south-west of Germany, having common frontiers with Luxembourg and France.
Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland (HIPS)
Universitätscampus E8 1
- from the north (Cologne/Trier) via the motorway A1/A8 to „Autobahnkreuz Neunkirchen“, take A6 to „Saarbrücken“
- from the east (Kaiserslautern/Mannheim) via A6 to "Saarbrücken/Paris"
- from the north-west from Luxembourg via A620 by-pass the city centre and follow A6 to „Mannheim“
- from the west (Metz/Paris) and south-west (Strasbourg) via the A4/A320 (E50) follow A6 (E50) to „Mannheim“
- to reach the campus from motorway A6: take exit no. 5 „St. Ingbert West/Universität“, follow „Universität Ost“, (ca. 6 km)
(ICE/TGV and Intercity - Saarbrücken Central Station) you can reach the campus by local busses from the main train station (112, 124) and the city centre (101, 102, 109, 111) within 15 min
- HIPS at UdS Campus (pdf, 137 kB)