Since 2011 the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) honours excellent young researchers in the field of infection biology with the Jürgen Wehland Award. The Award is named after the former Scientific Director of the HZI, Professor Jürgen Wehland. The Jürgen Wehland Award is awarded every two years by the HZI and the Friends of the HZI and includes prize money of 5,000 Euros. The next award ceremony is expected to take place in 2020.
- 2018 Dr Katherine Beckham, EMBL European Molecular Biology Laboratory Hamburg
- 2016 Dr Luciana Berod, TWINCORE Hannover
- 2015 Dr Sabrina Schreiner, TU München und Helmholtz-Zentrum München
- 2014 Prof Andreas Müller, Otto-von-Guericke Universität Magdeburg
- 2013 Dr Andrea Ablasser, Bonn University
- 2012 Dr Stephanie Bertram, Deutsches Primatenzentrum
- 2011 Dr Eike Steinmann, TWINCORE Hannover