PhD Programme Epidemiology
The PhD programme is a collaborative effort of the Department of Epidemiology, the HZI Grad School and the HBRS (MHH). After successful completion, candidates will be awarded a PhD or, in some instances, a Dr. rer. nat.
Current admissions for the PhD Programme are only possible if funding is assured by the applicant (e.g. by a scholarship or a third party).
Very important: Declaration of consent for the application procedure
The Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) takes the protection of personal data very seriously [according to the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)]. Please refer to our privacy statement for further information, https://www.helmholtz-hzi.de/en/service/data-protection/.
If you wish to apply or already applied via email, please enclose the following declaration of consent with your application:
Without this consent we cannot consider/pursue your application any further, all documents already sent will be deleted immediately.
Prerequisites for application:
- Please attach the declaration of consent for the application procedure when contacting us for the first time (see note above).
- University degree (master's degree or equivalent) in the area of medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, natural science, or in another subject area with a biomedical or health relevant focus. The degree must entitle the applicant to pursue a PhD studies in Germany (verification for this is carried out by an official authority)
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Knowledge and prior experience in the area of epidemiological methods and statistics equivalent to a degree like MSE, MSc Epidemiology, MPH, or MSAE. In individual cases, where such formal degree is lacking, successfully passed courses in the field of statistics and epidemiology with 120 contact hours and/or 10 ETCs can also be acknowledged.
- Submission of complete application documents (via e-mail), including a CV (listing academic degrees), a motivational letter, the bachelor and master certificates including corresponding transcripts (in original language and English translation)
- Submission of a research proposal (template Application Exposé) that preferably addresses one of the listed research areas (link)
- Funding: Financial framework that allows execution of the PhD project (e.g. by third party project funding)
- Successful presentation of the project to the PhD Programme Commission.
- Final decision on acceptance to the PhD Programme “Epidemiology” is taken by the PhD Programme Commission based on above mentioned prerequisites.
- Admission will be followed by enrollment at the MHH at the earliest possible date (beginning of each semester).
- There are no tuition fees. Please, check the website for the regular semester fee of the MHH, which includes the semester ticket for public transportation.