(Bio)Statistician or Data Scientist (f, m, d)
The Department of Epidemiology (Head: Professor Dr. med. Gérard Krause) at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) in Braunschweig is looking, at the earliest opportunity, for a (Bio)Statistician or Data Scientist (f, m, d) The Department of Epidemiology at the HZI consists of about 40 employees. We investigate the fundamental relationships between the occurrence, spread and prevention of infectious diseases in the human population - in Germany and internationally. A focus of the department is the development of mHealth tools such as www.sormas.org or www.info-pia.de. We work in the field of immunology and infection within the framework of the German National Cohort (https://nako.de), including for example multiomics analyses. Within the German Center for Infection Research, we are active as „Translational Infrastructure Epidemiology“ (www.dzif.de) and in other units. We are project partners in the HiGHmed Consortium (Medical Informatics Initiative: www.highmed.org) and cooperate closely with other departments at the HZI (e.g. Bioinformatics), Hannover Medical School and other institutions such as the Robert Koch Institute. Another infrastructural element of the department is the PhD Programme „Epidemiology“ (www.helmholtz-hzi.de/phdepi). Help protect the population from infectious diseases and epidemics!
- Statistical planning and evaluation of epidemiological studies including meta-analyses
- Mathematical modelling of infectious diseases (if previous knowledge/interest allows)
- Teaching in the PhD programme "Epidemiology”
- Methodical-statistical supervision of doctoral students as well as statistical counselling of external and internal cooperation partners in the context of infection epidemiology
- Scientific publications (first and co-authorship)
- Support in obtaining third-party funding
- University degree in Statistics / Biometrics / Computer Science with focus on Data Science or a related subject
- Experience/knowledge in the analysis of epidemiological or bio-medical studies
- Very good knowledge of R and/or STATA
- Basic knowledge of the German language and at least good knowledge of the English language
The following achievements/knowledge/experience would be of advantage
- Doctoral degree (e.g. PhD)
- Knowledge/experience in mathematical modelling of infectious diseases
- Knowledge/experience in meta-analysis and meta-regression
- Knowledge/experience in bioinformatics (e.g. in the context of microbiome, proteome or metabolome)
- Experience in the statistical supervision of epidemiological/medical studies, doctoral and master theses
- Teaching experience and knowledge in the field of university didactics
- Knowledge/experience in the conceptual design and programming of software applications especially in the field of eHealth and mHealth
We offer you
- Possibility of pursuing a doctorate or “habilitation” (Germany’s academic requirement for professorships)
- Working in a growing, interdisciplinary and international team
- Flexible working hours
Equal opportunities are part of HZI’s personnel policy – qualified women are especially invited to apply. Qualified applicants with a disability will be given preference. The position is principally part-time suitable. Braunschweig is a family-friendly city with a high quality of life and excellent transport connections. Due to its numerous university and federal research institutions, Braunschweig has one of the highest proportions of employees in research and development in Germany.
Starting date: at the earliest opportunity; Depending on successful grant application, initially limited to a 5 years‘ period, with possibility of a permanent position
Probation period: 6 months
Remuneration: TVöD E14
Closing date: 25.08.2019
- Epidemiology- Prof. Dr. Gérard Krause
at the earliest opportunity
Contract time limit
TVöD E 14
Applications accepted until 2019-08-25
The application documents should include a complete curriculum vitae with list of publications, a cover letter explaining the motivation to apply for the position, a short summary of research activities and the contact details of at least two referees.
Please send your complete application, stating the reference number 66/2019/b, exclusively to Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Human Resources Department, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany, or, summarized in a single pdf document by e-mail to: JobsHZI@helmholtz-hzi.de, by 25.08.2019.
Please address informal inquiries concerning the the job to: Prof. Dr. Gérard Krause, Tel: +49-531-6181-3100, email@example.com or Dr. Stefanie Castell, firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information on the department are found on our website: www.helmholtz-hzi.de/epidemiologie
The HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) provides an innovative structured PhD programme within the field of Infection Research.