Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) Virus Bioinformatics
Experimental Virology (EVIR)
The institute for Experimental Virology, led by Prof. Dr. Thomas Pietschmann, at TWINCORE - Centre for Experimental and Clinical Infection Research in Hannover, Germany is offering a position as Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) Virus Bioinformatics to support our international and interdisciplinary team in the research group for computational virology (Prof. Dr. Chris Lauber). At TWINCORE medical personnel and basic research scientists from various disciplines conduct infection research side by side. Our focus is upon translational research at the interface between basic research and clinical development.
This project is embedded in the interdisciplinary, multi-center Corona Virus Pathogenesis (CoViPa) consortium funded by the Helmholtz Association. The open PhD position includes participation in a joint Graduate program to support highly talented and promising doctoral researchers at the early stages of their career.
- Analysis of RNA and DNA high throughput sequencing data
- Comparative sequence analysis
- Phylogenetic and other evolutionary analyses
- Creation of bioinformatics workflows, including version management
- Master’s degree in (bio)informatics or biotechnology with a focus on computational biology
- Strong hands-on experience in programming with at least one scripting language, like Perl, Python or R, under Linux.
- Knowledge in and understanding of state-of-the-art methods of computational biology, e.g. NGS data processing, sequence alignment, phylogenetic tree reconstructions, protein functional annotation, motif search and structural predictions.
- The candidate works accurately, is able to conduct independent research, but also enjoys working in an international and interdisciplinary environment.
- Willingness to advise students in the lab.
- Fluency in English language (written and spoken)
- Experimental Virology- Prof. Dr. Thomas Pietschmann
Qualified applicants with a disability will be given preference.
The position is suitable for part-time employment.
Special preference toward women
as soon as possible
Contract time limit
Initial contract for 3 years
alike TVöD E13 (65%)
Applications accepted until 2021-08-06
Applicants are required to complete the online application form here:
https://hzi.opencampus.net/ (Please select Job No. 101/2021).
For more details regarding the position, please contact:
Further information about the institute and the research group of Prof. Dr. Chris Lauber can be found on our website: www.twincore.de/en/research-groups/experimental-virology/rg-computational-virology/.
The HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) provides an innovative structured PhD programme within the field of Infection Research.