Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) - Chemical Biology/Virology
Chemical Biology (CBIO) & Nanoscale Infection Biology (NIVI)
The department Chemical Biology and the research group of Nanoscale Infection Biology are offering a position as Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) - Chemical Biology/Virology
The aim of our combined research project is to study virus-receptor signalling during the entry phase of virus infection for different enveloped viruses. We will use super-resolution single molecule microscopy in combination with single-virus tracking to get mechanistic insights into the first minutes of the infection process. To this end, we will develop synthetic strategies to specifically modify intact viruses and immobilize them on solid glass supports. This will enable us to study virus-cell interaction at high temporal resolution while retaining control of the infection time point.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of a linker model to immobilize viruses onto surfaces for basolateral infection of epithelial cells. Monitoring by advanced fluorescence microscopical techniques is enabled by a specifically developed chemical toolbox for the release mechanism. This study system will be used to obtain novel mechanistic insights into the infection process. A part of the work will be performed in biosafety level 2 laboratories on the campus.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry, or related field within life sciences
- Strong motivation to develop scientific skills
- First experiences with independent planning of experimental methods (synthesis, biochemistry and bioanalytics) are required
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a multidisciplinary and international team
- Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
- Expertise in virology is considered an advantage
Disabled persons are given preference in the case of equal professional qualification. The HZI aims for professional equality between all genders.
- Modern laboratories
- State-of-the-art analytical instrumentation
- Ample biological profiling platforms (in vitro and in vivo)
- A lively scientific community
- 30 days vacation
- An annual additional payment (Weihnachtsgeld) analogue to § 20 TVöD
- Social security included
- DO IT- PhD initiative
- Welcome Office
- Buddy system
- Family Office
The successful candidate will be integrated in the HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) which provides an innovative structured PhD programme within the field of Infection Research https://www.helmholtz-hzi.de/de/karriere/graduiertenschule/curriculum/.
Qualified applicants with a disability will be given preference.
Special preference toward women
Contract time limit
initial contract for 3 years
alike TVöD E13 65%
Applications accepted until 2021-09-23
Applicants are required to complete the online application form here:
https://hzi.opencampus.net/ (Please select Job No. 117/2021).
Further information about the institute and the research can be found on our website:
The HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) provides an innovative structured PhD programme within the field of Infection Research.