Bachelor- and Master Theses
The Department of Chemical Biology at the HZI offers to interested and engaged biology-, biochemistry-and biotechnology students on a regular basis: - Internship Positions (max. 3 months) - Bachelor- and Master Theses The centre provides modern laboratories and state-of-the-art instrumentation, various biological profiling platforms, a lively scientific environment and programs for the development of interdisciplinary scientific expertise as well as personal skills, which are ideal prerequisities for a successfull future carrier.
Possible topis for biology-, biochemistry- and biotechnology students:
- Investigation of the mechanism of drug internalization into Gram-negative bacteria by imaging methods, mass spectrometry and microbiological assays
- Mass spectrometry-based investigations of the bacterial metabolome, with emphasis on the influence of drugs on virulence factors
- Elucidation of the molecular targets and the cellular mode of action of active compounds
- Development of phenotypic cell based assays for the investigation of infection-relevant processes
- Identification of active compounds by automated screening of compound libraries
Possible topis for (synthetic) chemists:
- Natural product-based as well as synthetic lead structures with promising activities against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria are structurally optimized by semi- or total synthesis. The biological properties of the molecules are characterized within the department, next door to the chemist.
- Molecular Trojan horses: Antimicrobial compounds are conjugated chemically with structures that are actively taken up by bacteria (e.g. via iron or sugar transport systems).
- Drug-based probes for the investigation of biological processes are synthesized and utilized for imaging applications, target identification or as photo switches.
- Analytical chemistry projects dealing with mass spectrometry-based studies of the metabolome of pathogenic bacteria.
- Chemical Biology- Prof. Dr. Mark Brönstrup
Further information about the institute and our department can be obtained via the internet at www.helmholtz-hzi.de. If you are interested please get in touch with Prof. Dr. Mark Brönstrup, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) provides an innovative structured PhD programme within the field of Infection Research.