Career at the Helmholtz Centre
The Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) offers diverse career options for scientists. Young researchers have the opportunity to found their own groups, for instance aided by the Young Investigator Groups programme of the Helmholtz Association. In cooperation with our partner universities we appoint professorships on two different levels.
Junior Research Groups
Every year young scientists are invited to apply as group leader at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI). Candidates present themselves in a public symposium and will be interviewed by the steering committee of the HZI. Selected applicants are then asked to write a grant proposal. The Helmholtz Association is funding the best applicants from all centres with a total amount of 125 000 EUR over a period of five years, and the HZI is adding the same amount.
Independent of the Helmholtz Young Investigator Groups programme, the HZI is supporting excellent young scientists that fund their work groups via other programmes or third party grants.
Junior research groups at the HZI
- Chemical Biology of Carbohydrates - Dr. Alexander Titz
- Immune Aging and Chronic Infections - Prof. Dr. Dr. Luka Cicin-Sain
- Infection Biology of Salmonella - Dr. Marc Erhardt
- Actinobacteria Metabolic Engineering - Dr. Andriy Luzhetskyy
- Microbial Immune Regulation - Dr. Till Strowig
- Structural biology of autophagy - Dr. Andrea Scrima
- Viral Immune Modulation - Prof. Dr. Melanie Brinkmann