The Helmholtz Institute for One Health in Greifswald (HIOH) is looking for a Postdoc (f/m/d). The Helmholtz Institute for One Health (HIOH), a site of the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) located in Greifswald, aims to explore links between human, animal, and environmental health. Our goal is to generate a better understanding of zoonotic diseases, antimicrobial resistance, and the evolution of pathogens, critical cornerstones for ultimately developing pandemic preparedness and prevention. The institute was founded in 2021 and harbors international and interdisciplinary research teams creating a hub for cutting-edge One Health research at the Baltic Sea. As Postdoc (f/m/d) of the DFG funded project “Great Ape Health in Tropical Africa: Emerging Diseases, conservation, and evolutionary perspectives on human health” you will be part of the Department of Ecology and Emergence of Zooonotic Disease (EEZD). You will work closely with our partners in Africa.
- Conducting field and lab trainings in Africa
- Field missions for sample collection in different great ape field sites in Africa are possible
- Conceiving lab workflows
- Running lab analyses yourself, from initial nucleic extraction to the enrichment of HTS libraries
- Running basic computational analyses
- Writing scientific articles and communicate the project results at scientific conferences
- Co-supervising PhD students
- Administrative tasks (reporting, budget control, logistics)
- Continuous monitoring of project activities
- A successfully completed degree and a doctorate in veterinary medicine, but human medicine, biology and similar disciplines will also be considered
- Field experience working with wildlife
- Experience working with HTS data
- Good knowledge in molecular biology laboratory techniques
- You show motivation and organizational skills, you are a team player and flexible
- You are open-minded, resilient, committed, motivated and reliable
- Business fluent in written and spoken English and good knowledge of French
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Experience in coordinating and implementing international projects, preferably in Africa or other regions with weak infrastructure
- Experience in working with large data sets and statistics skills
- Some knowledge of German or willingness to learn
- An exciting, varied job in a future-oriented research institute within an international scientific environment and many opportunities to establish stimulating local collaborations on other topics (e.g. disease ecology and evolution)
- Modern laboratories and state-of-the-art instrumentation
- Extensive support for the development of technical and transferable skills
- Programs for the development of professional knowledge and personal skills
- A corporate culture of appreciation and promotion of equal opportunities
- Extensive training and continuing education opportunities to develop professional knowledge and personal skills
- A family office to support family and career as well as childcare offers
- Interesting additional public service benefits
- Subsidization of the job ticket
Severely disabled applicants will be given preference in cases of equal professional suitability. In order to safeguard your rights, we ask you to provide us with a clearly recognizable reference to the existence of a degree of severe disability in your cover letter or resume. Employment is through the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research in Braunschweig. The place of work is Greifswald. The HZI strives for professional equality between women and men. The position is suitable for part-time work.
- Ökologie und Entstehung von Zoonosen- Prof. Dr. Fabian Leendertz
As soon as possible
The position is limited for three years
E 13 TVöD Bund
Bewerbungsschluss ist der 03.01.2024
Please include a cover letter, resume, (employment) references, certificates, and (if available) work samples or reference projects with your application materials. Please refrain from sending a photo.
Please send your complete application with the privacy statement, quoting the reference 188/2023, to the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research GmbH, Human Resources Department, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig or by e-mail, summarized in one single PDF document, to: JobsHZI@helmholtz-hzi.de.
We are looking forward to receiving your application.
For more information about this position, please contact Mrs. Ariane Düx, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Die HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) bietet ein innovatives, strukturiertes Promotionsprogramm im Themenbereich "Infektionsforschung".
Der PhD-Studiengang „Epidemiologie“ ist ein dreijähriger Promotionsstudiengang im Bereich der epidemiologischen Forschung und wird von der Abteilung für Epidemiologie des HZI betrieben.