Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) - Immunolgy
Vakzinologie und angewandte Mikrobiologie (VAC)
The Department Vaccinology and Applied Microbiology headed by Prof. Dr. Carlos A. Guzmán at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) in Braunschweig, Germany is offering a position as Doctoral Researcher (f/m/d) - Immunology.
New platforms for dual mRNA delivery of antigen and endogenous adjuvants for fine-tailored systemic and local protective mucosal immune responses
The project aims in the development of an advanced vaccine platform to promote protective mucosal immunity by co-delivery of mRNAs encoding antigen(s) and human endogenous adjuvants. This requires adaptation of the nanocarrier design for co-delivery of different mRNAs with distinct expression kinetics. The approach encompasses the selection of relevant antigen and endogenous adjuvants for mucosal vaccination, and a proof-of-concept study with a vaccine-relevant antigen showing stimulation of protective immunity against viral infection. The project represents a strong and close cooperation with the department Biological Barriers and Drug Delivery (Prof. Dr. Claus-Michael Lehr) at the Helmholtz Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (HIPS) in Saarbrücken.
Thus, the successful candidate will have the challenging task to work at the interphase of nanocarrier design and immunology to develop new mRNA-based vaccination strategies. The candidate will design and perform immunisation studies using the murine model, isolate primary cells to be tested in different immunological assays and analyse the stimulated humoral and cellular immune responses. The respective assays comprise ELISA, hemagglutination inhibition (HAI) and enzyme-linked lectin (ELLA) assays, microneutralisation, ELISPOT and FACS analysis. The candidate will also travel to our collaboration partners (national) to exchange and share techniques and reagents.
• Master’s Degree or equivalent in biology, or a related field within the life sciences
• Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
• Ability to work independently and as part of an international team
• Experience on immunological assays and tissue culture
• A strong interest in immunology and vaccinology as well as some experience with flow cytometry and/or fluorescence microscopy are highly beneficial
• The project demands a well-structured and communicative working style
Disabled persons are given preference in the case of equal professional qualification. The HZI aims for professional equality between women and men. The position is suitable for part-time work.
- Vakzinologie und angewandte Mikrobiologie- Prof. Dr. Carlos A. Guzmán
Bei gleicher fachlicher Eignung erhalten Schwerbehinderte den Vorzug.
Die Stelle ist teilzeitgeeignet.
TVÖD 13 65%
Bewerbungsschluss ist der 15.11.2021
Applicants are required to complete the online application form here: https://hzi.opencampus.net/ (Please select Job No. 152/2021).
- Modern laboratories
- State-of-the-art analytical instrumentation
- Ample biological profiling platforms (in vitro and in vivo)
- A lively scientific community
- 30 days vacation
- An annual additional payment (Weihnachtsgeld) analogue to § 20 TVöD
- Social security included
- DO IT- PhD initiative https://www.helmholtz-hzi.de/de/karriere/do-it-doktorandeninitiative
- Welcome Office
- Buddy system
- Family Office
The successful candidate will be integrated in the HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) which provides an innovative structured PhD programme within the field of Infection Research https://www.helmholtz-hzi.de/de/karriere/graduiertenschule/curriculum/.
Die HZI International Graduate School for Infection Research (GS-FIRE) bietet ein innovatives, strukturiertes Promotionsprogramm im Themenbereich "Infektionsforschung".